The streaming and OTT communities having been buzzing over the last 24 hours as news broke that Roku would be releasing a new device called Roku SE for Black Friday (so far the following retailers are listed; Roku’s website, Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart & Kohl’s). Over the past day more information has come out and here is what we know so far.
First the quick rundown from the official Roku blog:
- Runs Roku OS 7, the newest built-for-TV operating system
- Offers 1080p video streaming and simple user interface
- Access to nearly 3,000 streaming entertainment channels including 300,000 movies and TV episodes
- Ability to search across 20+ top streaming channels to easily see available streaming options by price and availability
- Compatible with HDMI and analog TVs
- Use the Roku Mobile App for iOS or Android to access key features such as Roku Search, Roku Feed, Remote Control, Play on Roku and more
- Cast content from a mobile device to the TV via specific streaming channels or the Roku Mobile App
- Hotel and Dorm Connect provides quick wireless connectivity in locations that require log-in credentials to access the wi-fi network
Also Roku sent out some more information today via a press release:
The Roku SE “will be available in limited supply for the Black Friday weekend online and at select national retailers. With the suggested retail price of $49.99, slashed to a deep Black Friday discount of just $25, the Roku SE is the most affordable Roku player ever. In addition, promotions on other popular Roku streaming models may be offered during the Black Friday weekend.”
“The popularity of streaming to the TV continues to grow, and streaming players are sure to be at the top of many holiday wish lists,” said Roku Chief Marketing Officer Matthew Anderson. “The Roku SE player sets a new precedent in streaming player value this Black Friday. From 4K UHD streaming with the new Roku 4, to the simple and portable Roku Streaming Stick, to the affordable Roku SE; there’s a Roku player for everyone.”
The early observation is this is going to be a very affordable entry device into streaming via the Roku. Here’s hoping the limited quantities are more than a dozen or so per store.
What do you think of the SE? Do you plan on getting one black Friday? Comment below.