Roku has launched a new web based channel publishing tool called Direct Publisher.
If you have ever tried to build a Roku channel using code you know it can sometimes be a very tedious and time consuming process. This new tool from Roku should make it easier for content providers to publish and monetize their content.
Here’s a list of the benefits to using the Direct Publisher tool according to Roku:
- Free — There are no fees for using the Roku Direct Publisher.
- No coding — Direct Publisher is a feed-based channel creation tool. This means there is no coding or programming knowledge required. Anyone with an MRSS or JSON feed can quickly and easily create a channel.
- Fully-featured / No maintenance — Channels built using Direct Publisher all share the same code base, which is maintained and updated by Roku. New features introduced to the Roku Platform are automatically added to Direct Publisher channels, ensuring your channel stays fully optimized. By passing off maintenance responsibilities to Roku, publishers can focus on building their brand and creating quality content.
- Monetization — Direct Publisher channels can be monetized by serving ads to their viewers. Publishers can choose to use their own ad servers, or they can opt to have Roku serve ads for them.
- Analytics — Our custom analytics dashboard highlights several key performance metrics, such as number of channel installations, hours streamed, etc.
- Customizable — You’ll be able to organize and display your content in different categories by using tags and playlists. You can also customize your channel with your brand’s logo, assets, and colors.