The Weather Network, an industry leader in multi-platform weather information services, announced today that its weather application channel is now available on the Roku® platform, an industry leader in streaming entertainment. The Weather Network channel brings weather information and forecasting technology to Roku’s popular streaming players and Roku TV™ models, providing Roku users with quick and easy access to localized weather forecasts and personalized content.
“The Weather Network channel on the Roku platform is designed to bring consumers a different way of accessing the weather,” said Naomi Lipowski, Director TV Apps and Emerging Platforms, Pelmorex Media Inc. “The Weather Network team is dedicated to continuously evolving the way consumers receive their weather information and giving users broader access via Roku devices is the next step in this evolution.”
With a click of a remote, the channel uses a simple, dynamic interface that complements The Weather Network’s current app platforms and provides users access to key weather data, videos, warnings and alerts. Designed for a 10-foot TV viewing experience, key features include:
- Multi-lingual capabilities: The Weather Network channel on the Roku platform is available in English, Spanish, German, Italian, French and Portuguese, ensuring Americans can easily access their local weather information.
- IP targeted localized forecasts: Available for the Live Channel/interactive app, personalized and localized forecasts show current and upcoming weather conditions.
- PointCast technology: Available throughout the app, PointCast technology provides weather information as close as 0.6 miles of where you are using a US zip code.
- Enhanced weather content: Current, Hourly, 36 Hours and 14 Day forecasts are provided for a user’s favorite locations.
- Warnings/Alerts: Keeping consumers safe by allowing them to stay abreast of incoming active weather.
Leveraging its continued multi-platform success with past weather applications, The Weather Network’s Roku channel is the most recent addition to the company’s rapidly growing TV app family, solidifying its position as an international leader in weather TV apps with services currently offered in North America and Europe.
“Television viewing habits are constantly evolving and consumer habits are changing,” said Pierre Morrissette, Chairman, President and CEO, Pelmorex Media Inc. “The Weather Network has its finger on the pulse of what’s important to consumers and we want to continue pursuing opportunities that will positively affect Americans day-to-day lives. The Weather Network channel on the Roku platform is just the next step in expanding The Weather Network’s presence in global weather apps.”
Developed in partnership with the UK-based TV App Agency, the Roku channel showcases The Weather Network’s commitment to deliver a great consumer experience using cutting-edge Over the Top (OTT) technology, bringing The Weather Network’s innovative weather app to life on the biggest screen in the house. Consisting of both live content and an interactive app, users are able to access on-demand live weather coverage for a specific location, view their favorite weather content and receive up-to-date information for their local area.
The Weather Network channel is available for download in the Roku Channel Store on their device within News & Weather streaming channel menu.